Wednesday, November 25

1:14 A.M.

It's way too late for this, but I actually took a nap today, when I should have been studying for a Spanish test. Ah well; turns out the lab closed early, and they didn't give anybody any notice, so I didn't take the test tonight anyways.
I keep thinking about what this blog is really for, and what I really want to say. I guess I don't really even have to have a purpose. It's just... hard for me to imagine why anybody would want to stop, take their time, and read these often silly blog posts. I'm not like my friend Katy, who has a talent of expressing humor and wit through words.
But whether or not people read this isn't what I want to my focus to be; because if it is, then I'm no longer writing to them. And while that is often the point, I don't want to sacrifice my voice, my style, or my passion by writing what I think others want to read. One of my favorite quotes about writing is by Sylvia Plath:
"Everything is life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."
When I have self-doubt, I don't write honestly and naturally. And I have self-doubt when I direct my writing to a specific audience, because I start to worry too much. And though I can't help but think this whole thing is counterintuitive, I guess I'll figure out the balance somewhere along the way. Maybe this is part of what distinguishes a good writer.

No comments: